15 Plants That Are Poisonous To Pets
A list of plants that are poisonous to pets or could be harmful to your dog or cat. Pet owners should avoid having these plants around the home.
Lilies are particularly toxic for cats. The poisonous part of the plant hasn’t yet been identified, so your best bet is to simply avoid lilies around your home if you also have a pet, especially a cat. Exposure to just a tiny amount of the toxin in a lily plant can cause severe or even fatal kidney disease.
Species of this plant contain grayanotoxin, a compound that will cause your dog or cat gastrointestinal symptoms including bloating, diarrhea and vomiting. Ultimately, ingestion of azaleas can result in coma, cardiovascular collapse and death.
This variety of palm tree is dangerous for both dogs and cats. All parts of the sago are toxic, but especially the “nuts” or seeds. Just a seed or two can make your pet desperately ill with drooling, vomiting, lethargy, seizures and acute liver failure.
The entire tulip plant is toxic to your pet, but the bulbs are more poisonous than the leaves or stems. Tulip bulbs can cause serious gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.
A common houseplant with roots that are toxic to dogs and cats. The most common symptom from ingestion of cyclamen is gastrointestinal irritation resulting in severe vomiting.
All varieties of the oleander plant are poisonous for both dogs and cats. This plant contains cardiac glycosides that can cause sudden death from heart failure.
The yew plant and in fact, all species of the taxus or yew family of plants can cause serious problems for both dogs and cats.
The cilantro plant can cause gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac arrhythmia in your pet.
Symptoms of poisoning from the amaryllis, also known as the Easter plant, are vomiting, lethargy and depression.
All species of the ivy plant family contain a toxin called triterpenoids. This substance can cause your pet gastrointestinal irritation that results in abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea.
Schefflera contains calcium oxalates that can cause severe irritation to your pet’s mouth, esophagus and stomach. Signs your dog or cat has ingested this plant are vomiting and diarrhea, drooling and difficulty swallowing.
The autumn crocus, a plant commonly found in gardens and yards, can irritate your pet’s mouth and cause diarrhea and bloody vomiting.
The castor bean plant is deadly to both dogs and cats. The beans of this plant contain a toxin called ricin. Ricin can bring on abdominal pain and bloating, and swelling of the mouth. More serious poisoning can cause twitching, seizures, musculoskeletal convulsions, coma and death.
Both dogs and cats are sensitive to the pothos plant, which can cause soft tissue irritation in your pet’s mouth resulting in swelling of the tongue and sometimes bleeding of the mucus membranes. If your pet chews on a pothos leaf, he may also have difficulty swallowing.
If your dog or cat ingests any portion of a cannabis plant, the result can be depression of the central nervous system, loss of coordination, vomiting, lethargy, increased heart rate, seizures, and coma.